Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"The REALLY good part, with all the avocado!"

Good evening sweets!

How was everyone's day? Today was the first day of my senior project, and I had so much fun! I'm shadowing one of my best friends' mom's classroom (she's a preschool teacher) and the kids are so great. They're not exactly the best listeners but they were so precious! Hopefully I'll be able to help control them a little more when I actually know what I'm doing (: The kids were so funny during worktime, it's so strange how important they think these little things are. It's actually so refreshing to be around people with perspectives like that... even if they are 3-5 years old!

My stomach was feeling a little out of sorts this morning and so I decided a simple bowl of cereal would do the trick. I had Fiber One original with unsweetened rice milk + banana. This was my first try with rice milk, and OHMMYYGOSH it was so good! Just a little bit sweet from the rice but nothing overwhelming, the only thing that freaked me out a little was the color... it was white, but almost cloudy? Like if you mixed water and milk together. Weird. BUT get this! In a cup of this rice milk, there's six grams of fiber! Sure, I had fiber cereal for breakfast as is, but SERIOUSLY that's the most impressive number I've seen on a milk-type beverage! 

------------------------------

I was done in the classroom at like noon, and then it was time for my fun errand of the day! You might have noticed the, uhm, quality-deficient pictures from yesterday's post. Well, no more of those eye sores! Today I went to Target (love love love!) and bought myself a camera! I ended up getting some sort of Nikon Cool Pix, but get this! It's got a touch screen! Whaaaat! Like I said on my Twitter, I was taking (several) pictures of ev-er-y-thiiin. My sweet puppy got to deal with my obsessive picture snapping for about twenty minutes (:


Thanks for sleeping on my pillows, Duke.



My eats were fairly unmemorable from today. Lunch & dinner were both super casual -- as in lunch consisted of Kashi Go Lean (obsession of the last year), rice milk (more?! Seriously?!), and orange segments (tasty, but super super suuuuper awk to eat on top of cereal). Dinner was a wrap with avocado, orange bell pepper (thank you Daddy!), & taco-seasoning-covered tofu. Best part? I ate intuitively!! As you (may not) know, part of my philosophy stresses the goal to eat intuitively, and it's honestly my biggest problem with healthy eating! I had like, a bite and a half left -- with TONS of avocado on it, aka my favorite part -- and I realized that I was full. I wanted it (BAAAD.) but I didn't eat it!
The burrito, pre-wrapping!

I then proceeded to tell my dad & brother how weird this was for me. Aaand they looked at me like I had three heads. #getonmylevel

I experimented a little bit with food photography today, and it's sooo clear I've got like, miles to go (unlike, oh, say... Kath, Ashley, or Jenny. So pretty!) But hey, it's a learning curve, right? ...Right?

--------------------------------------------

The other thing I wanted to talk about today are my goals for the month of May! I've seen so many bloggers doing this and I love the idea! I feel like it's much more measurable & realistic than New Year's Resolutions, ya know? Anyways, here we go!

Goals for May!
1. Work up to a five mile run -- this might seem small to some people, but I've taken a big(!) break from running over the winter. Now that spring/summer is rolling around, I can't wait to get back out there and hit the pavement! (Oddly enough, today was a scheduled rest day. Who knew?) The game plan is to get going with four days of cardio a week, if not more!
2. Yoga/stretching two times a week -- as an ex-gymnast, this one hits me hard! I've lost so much flexibility, plus I always forget how much I adore yoga until I actually do it again! 
3. Read three recommended books -- I adore reading, but it totally took a backseat during senior year. I honestly missed it! I know I want to read What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, and the book by Brendan Braizer (?) about Thriving or something? (Look at me, sounding all educated and whatnot! Fail.) But, my third book is still open! Anybody got any good recommendations?! Lemme hear em!
4. Buy three new outfits -- this one is pathetic. I work in yoga pants. I exercise in Nike Tempo shorts. And for the last fifteen years, I've worn a uniform to school. My wardrobe is sadly and completely lacking. Before Clemson, this needs to change! I want the outfits to be things I'll love wearing, not just stuff to fill my goals!
5. Give away 15 pieces of clothing -- this is just the bare minimum. Last night I slept on mountains of clothes that were stacked on my bed, because they won't fit in my closet & drawers. Hi, I'm Samantha, and I'm potentially a hoarder. Not sure yet. 
6. Try one new recipe every week -- this is really just a fun one (: I love experimenting, so I wanna see where I can branch out to!
7. Post at least five times a week -- So far, so good! I'm at two already (including this one...) so hopefully I can keep it up! I just don't wanna get boring! (: 

Well... that should do it, I think! I'm up and at 'em early again tomorrow -- preschool has a FIELD TRIPPP. WHATUPPP.    

Have you tried rice milk?
I actually can't believe that I haven't before. It's always on the shelves at Whole Paycheck Foods...
What's your favorite cereal?
KASHI GO LEAN KASHI GO LEAN KASHI GO LEAN. With a side of Peanut Butter Puffins. 
Do you make monthly goals for yourself?
 Let's hope I can keep remembering when the month changes so I can keep making them! (: 

Hope yall have a great night!
Samantha  

1 comment:

  1. I haven't found a rice milk that I loved yet because it doesn't have that much protein or calcium in it, but I'm on the lookout. I think WF might make a good one. I like the taste though.
    my favorite cereal is probably.....well I just like oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete